I'm not so sure that companies from 20, 10 or even 5 years ago that were
making custom devices for the blind were charging the prices they were
just to "stick it to the blind". The world was quite a bit different.
You didn't have off the shelf devices that had the computing power to
run a full blown OS, a built in screen reader, a software speech
synthesizer, a GPS and so on. Of course those devices cost more than an
app for the iPhone would cost today. I'm not saying that companies
making products for the blind, didn't over charge for their products,
I'm sure some of them did, just like companies may try to get more for
their products in every free market than some people think is fair.

I think it's great today that we have so many off the shelf options, and
I know I tend to favour an off the shelf option myself when it meets my
needs. I still wouldn't hesitate to buy a device or an app made with the
blind in mind though, if it meets my needs and helps me compete with my
sighted peers. I'm not a fan of the term blind ghetto though, and I
think it does a disservice to all of those products and people who gave
the blind the opportunity to be successful in various careers before we
could piggy back on top of devices like the iPhone.

I also think that companies making products for the blind can smell the
coffee. As mentioned below, the Trekker is no longer made, and how many
products like it do you see out there anymore? Access technology
companies aren't stupid, and they see what's happening with access
technology and the developments they can take advantage of, if they so
choose to.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail