I sent a bug report, as I think the slider moving without impacting playback
position is an issue with a feature as implemented, and not a missing feature
exactly. The app as a whole is more accessible though, and since we still can
forward and rewind through a book, it's by no means as bad as I first thought.
Incidentally, their user feedback apparently led them to conclude that the
next/previous chapter buttons were being inadvertently triggered, hence their
removal as well as the timeline slider being rendered inactive by default. The
thing about the timeline was in the user guide and the chapter buttons tidbit
is from the FAQ. The thing I've noticed in this and other apps, is that when a
slider is inactive by default, you get results like I've described, where even
when VoiceOver says it's adjustable, your input has no effect on the variable,
even as VoiceOver tells you the slider is moving. I wish the removal of the
controls had been a user option rather than a design change though, something
more dramatic than the previous flick to hide like a toggle in settings or
something.

Sent from my iPad