Hi,

Yes, I've had that happen to me, but on an iPhone 5. As far as you getting
refurbished ones, they're brand new. They simply go in the back in the store
and grab a new phone. Your AppleCare will transfer over to the replacement
phone as well.
I was also told that phones purchased through Apple are tested more before
they're actually sent to stores for sale, as opposed to carriers, who just get
phones shipped straight to them after manufacturing.