The screen is deactivated by the proximity sensor when the iPhone is at your
ear. Either your iPhone's proximity sensor is not working (which means you need
to take the device back to the store for servicing / replacement), or you are
holding the iPhone at an angle which is not blocking the proximity sensor.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone