Hi Neal, this would depend on whether you set iTunes to back up your phone to
the cloud, or to your PC. If you have it set to back up to iCloud, you have to
manually initiate an iTunes backup every time you want to perform one. If
you've set iTunes to back up to your computer by default, and you've enabled
encrypted backups, then a new encrypted backup will be taken every time you
sync.

I like to set my phone to be backed up to iCloud by default, but regularly take
manual iTunes backups. That way I have backups in two separate places, for
peace of mind.

Jonathan