From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2013 2:27 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: rumor or not?

Hi Pablo,

There is absolutely no advantage to buying an  unlocked phone unless you
plan to travel to other countries where you might want to temporarily remove
your carrier's SIM card and insert one from a carrier in the country  you
are visiting. There may also be an advantage to buying an unlocked phone at
full price from Apple direct if you don't want to commit to a 2-year
contract or if you plan to maybe use your phone for a year or so with one
carrier and then to switch to a different carrier. If you have bought an
unlocked phone at full price from Apple you can walk into any carrier's
store, buy a SIM Card and activate the phone on whichever service they offer
without any commitment.

I have an unlocked 4S and when I bought it I was with Telus here in Canada
which is one of the big 3 carriers. About a year later I decided to switch
to Koodo which works on the Telus network and the company is even owned by
Telus, but operates like an MVNO. I was able to do this simply by going to a
Koodo booth which exist in most major malls in the larger cities and I just
picked a plan, they offered me a free SIM card and after I signed the
paperwork for my new month-to-month plan with no long term contract I was
done. Inside of 20 minutes I had service from my new provider.

As another example, I am going to Thailand in 2 weeks on holidays. I already
found out online that most of the major providers there have 24-hour stores
right at the airport because tourism is such a big industry there. I will go
to one of these providers, buy a SIM card for $2 or $3 and a package which
will give me unlimited data and some SMS and talk time and once again all I
have to do is take my Koodo SIM Card out and put in the SIM from the Thai
carrier. When I get back home I reverse the process and I'm back on my
normal carrier's network.

However, at least here in Canada most carriers will even unlock your
subsidized phone nowadays after as little as 30 days so that makes buying a
phone at full price even less attractive. As long as I don't have to put in
a different SIM a week after I buy it, I could buy a phone on contract for a
reduced price, then after 30 days I call my carrier and tell them that I am
going to travel for a few weeks and want my phone unlocked. They do so and I
can put in a SIM in another country, then put in my carrier's SIM when I get
back. The only thing I can't do with this scenario unless I am willing to
pay the cancellation penalty is to cancel my contract and go to another
carrier.