Hi, there are several ways, but one good and quick way is to add a new contact account. Go to Settings, then to Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Then choose Add Account. Choose Other. Then choose CardDAV Account. This is a contact type of account. Now fill in your Google user name and password and for a server name give it google.com. that will read the Google contacts from your gmail account. You can then make these contacts be your default contacts. Now when you add a new contact from either gmail or from your phone, they will automagically be synced. You won't need iTunes for this at all. On the PC side there are add-ons for Thunderbird to also read the Google Contacts, and there is a program on sourceforge which will swync Google Contacts into the Outlook Contacts. So, there is a way there you can have everything synced across multiple devices and platforms.

I hope this helps, but if not, do a Google search for iPhone Google contacts CardDAV.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
I must say I'm glad I know sign language, It's pretty handy. - Sheldon Cooper