Thanks for your reply. The OCR engine in TextGrabber and Prizmo is newer and
better than the OCR engine in KNFB Reader. When these apps are used in
conjunction with a product like the StandScan Pro, their abilities really shine
through.

Even the hardware is better with the iPhone 5 verses the Nokia N86. Using my
StandScan Pro and TextGrabber, I get OCR times of just a few seconds with
quality that is equivalent to a desktop system.

I have heard rumours that KNFB Reading Technologies is considering creating a
KNFB Reader for the iPhone. Their concern is whether people will pay several
hundred dollars for the product. By my calculations, ten StandScan Pro boxes
would come to $300, which I suspect would be the minimum asking price from KNFB
Reading. I personally would not pay such a high price as it is not worth that
kind of money to me considering I get better results with significantly less
expensive equipment.

If you question my significant price expectations for KNFB Reader on the
iPhone, consider the precedence. Sendero Group, the makers of GPS for the
blind, announced at CSUN that the GPS app which the Seeing Eye invested in the
creation of will probably sell for a subscription fee of $100 per year. With
this pricing structure, they are charging $25 more per year than they charged
for map updates with Mobile Geo.

I learned over a decade ago that it is almost always much more difficult for an
adaptive tech company to switch over to a mainstream market. The fact is, there
is no way consumers who are not blind will pay anywhere near that kind of money
for OCR or GPS when the alternatives are all significantly less than $100
without any sort of subscription models.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone