From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Raul A. Gallegos
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2013 11:11 AM
To: ViPhone List
Subject: redeeming an iTunes gift card using iTunes in Windows

Hi all. I am having a rather interesting problem and would like to share
this with you to see if others have had similar experiences. If they are
different then please let me know.

Here's what I have: Windows 7 64-bit, Window-Eyes 8.2, NVDA 2012, and
Jaws 14. Obviously I'm not running more than one screen reader at a
time. I'm using iTunes and am redeeming an iTunes gift card.

Before I continue, I'm not interested in redeeming the card from a Mac
or from the iDevice.

What seems to be happening is that redeeming the gift card using
Window-Eyes and/or NVDA works, but I'm having a hard time with Jaws.
I've listed the steps below with appropriate comments on where I do
things differently depending on the screen reader and maybe you guys can
correct me on the Jaws parts since I'm not as comfortable with it as I
am with Window-Eyes.

1. With iTunes running I start in the source list tree view.

2. I up or down arrow until I get to the iTunes store.

3. I press either tab or f6 until I get to the account button. This is
past the various app store category buttons like music, apps, iTunes U, ETC.

4. Once at the right button I press the space bar and a context menu
pops up. I down arrow once to the Redeem menu item and press enter.

The first 4 steps work well with all 3 screen readers, but here is where
Jaws departs and NVDA and Window-Eyes continue to work for me.

5. After pressing enter on Redeem, I am asked to sign into my Apple ID
account. I'm already on the password field. So, I type my Apple ID
password and press enter. So far, so good.

6. Now the html portion of iTunes loads with the redeem section tied to
my account. Using Window-Eyes, it's automatically in Browse Mode where
things like h for headings, e for edit boxes, and b for buttons work.
The same is true for NVDA and Jaws and they also use similar quick
access keys.

7. I tab to the edit field where I am to enter in my redeem code. With
Window-Eyes I press enter on the edit field and Browse Mode turns off
and I am in real iTunes world just as if there was no screen reader. I
type in my code and press enter and voila. With NVDA I do the same, and
I can even just press tab and the Browse Mode of it also turns off and I
can enter in my code and get it to work. Now with Jaws, it seems that no
matter what I do, I cannot get out of their virtual mode. They don't
call it Browse mode like Window-Eyes and NVDA do. I'm only pointing that
out for those who use one screen reader or another that Browse Mode and
Virtual Mode are basically the same thing.

Using Jaws, I press the numpad-plus key to see if this will say pc
cursor, but no matter what I do it only says virtual pc cursor. I also
tried pressing insert-z to stop using virtual mode, and again, nothing.
I tried routing the jaws cursor, i.e. the mouse pointer, to the pc
cursor location and see if I could do it that way, but again, nothing.

What got me started on this journey was 2 things. First, I saw a $100
iTunes gift card on sale at Best Buy for $85. Second, a client also
purchased this upon my recommendation. I use Window-Eyes and my client
uses Jaws. My client is mostly comfortable with iTuens, but a few things
are difficult. So, when he called me with this issue at first I thought
he was doing something wrong, however if it's not working for me either,
and so either this doesn't work as it should, or I'm also doing
something wrong and would like to learn what so I can avoid this issue
in the future.

I welcome ideas and suggestions on what I can try to make it possible to
redeem iTunes gift cards using this similar type of setup.

Thanks all.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
I would have been here sooner but the bus kept stopping for other people