Timothy,

Did you by any chance pause the downloads when it initially started? That
may be the cause of it. If you click on the app in the Update screen while
it's trying to update, it will pause the process. Another reason may be
that the updates are big and require you to be near WiFi. However, that's
usually the case for games not smaller apps. Let me know if this helps any.

Best,
Dmitriy

AppStore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id567635020
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TapTapSee