It sounds like you are holding the phone correctly. Imagine yourself in the
center of the clock face. Twelve o'clock should be straight in front of you.
Six o'clock should be directly behind, etc.
 use this app all the time, mainly I use it to locate our car in parking lots,
and do not  have this problem.

Chuck (mobile)