Hi Donald,

To delete a Contact:

Go into Contacts
Find the Contact you want to delete and double tap on it
Now find the Edit button at the top right of the screen
Now do a 4-finger tap on the bottom half on the phone, this is the gesture
which takes you to the last screen element which is the "Delete Contact"
button.

Note: Sometimes the 4-finger tap may stop just short of that, if you are not
on the Delete Contact button just swipe right until you get to it or you
could just swipe right all the way to begin with until you find it. As I
said, if you are in the Contacts app, it will be the very last thing on the
screen once you are in Edit mode.

As far as deleting text messages is concerned, if you are running iOS 6 you
could just use the new method to delete emails, text messages, songs etc. If
you are in the main window of the Messages app just flick down or up with a
single finger and you should hear Voiceover say "Delete", now just double
tap anywhere on the screen.
If you don't want to use this gesture, there is a difference whether you
delete an entire conversation or whether you want to delete individual
messages in a conversation.
In order to delete an entire conversation, make sure you are in the main
list of conversations and that you are not in a conversation which will be
the case if you double tap on it.
Find the Edit button in this case it is at the top left of the screen. You
know you are on the right screen if you have the Compose button at the top
right.
Once you double tap on Edit, a "Delete switch button" appears beside each
conversation.
Double tap on it and you will be asked to confirm, double tap again and the
conversation is gone.
Once you deleted all the conversations you want to delete, double tap on
"Done" at the top left of the screen. Basically, the Edit button will become
the Done button when you double tap it and when you double tap Done it will
once again turn into Edit.

If you want to only delete individual messages, double tap on the
Conversation so you are on the screen where you can read the individual
messages.

Buddy message, by the way, refers to any message you receive from another
person whether it is an iMessage or regular text message.
If it is an iMessage, your own messages will be identified as "Your
iMessage", if it is a text message, it will be "Your text message". Any
reply is always "Buddy message".

Now you have an Edit button at the top left of the screen (opposite from
where it is when you delete entire conversations).
Now double tap on all the individual messages, both your own and the buddy
messages, you want to delete. Voiceover will say "selected" before each one
after you double tap it.
Let's say you do this for 5 messages, now check the bottom left of the
screen and you will find "Delete, 5 button". Double tap this and those
messages will be deleted from the conversation.
There is also a "Clear All" button at the top left of the screen after you
double tap on Edit.
This will clear all messages from a conversation, but it will leave the
entry for that person in your Conversations list.

Good luck,