How did you set up the appointment? Did you use the Calendar app?

I use Google Calendar as my default calendar, and when I set up an event, I have two alerts I can set for each event. If you've done this, and you're still not hearing an alert, you may want to go into Settings -> Sounds and make sure you have a sound set for your calendar alerts and make sure the volume for your alerts isn't set to zero.