Actually, at&t is not required to unlock a phone, even if it's off contract. I
think this should be required, but currently it is not, at least not in the
U.S. In many countries in Europe this is actually required, but here, the
carriers are completely free to choose whether or not to do this. For a while,
at&t had a policy that they would not unlock iphones at all, they probably
changed this because of consumer pressure, but the law does not force them to
do this.