Twitter and social networking may not be for everyone, but Twitter isn't just for people with too much time on their hands.

More and more organizations are using Twitter instead of alerts, such as sports scores, weather updates, last minute scheduling changes and so on.

You can also use Twitter to follow authors, bloggers and web sites similar to how people use RSS feeds. For example, woot.com tweets their daily deals every morning. Just as with RSS feeds this saves you time and keeps you from having to check multiple web sites just to see if they've been updated.

I've also read of things like bus lines which tweet every time they leave a particular stop, so you'll know exactly where the bus is and when it'll show up at your stop.

Twitter is also used to enhance a meeting. For example, if you're meeting on line or in person, participants may tweet links to articles with similar content, questions, vote on issues and so on.

Like I said, Twitter and social networking isn't for everyone, but if it isn't for you, that doesn't mean the only people who take advantage of it are people with too much time on their hands.