Ok David, figured out what you were trying to convey.

Using the close button as you have described it below is a bit slow and kind
of a pain for me. Again, for "me, just me."

After experimenting, I did find that using my swiping technique is faster
and results are more consistent and easily replicated.
1. I launched about 10 Google searches using Siri.
2. I then went about closing each webpage.
3. I placed my finger right above the Home button then swiped to the right
to the "pages button." I double-tapped on this Pages button.
4. I once again placed my finger right above the Home button on the screen
and slightly to the left (11:30 o clock), and I landed on "New page."
5. I swiped 3 times to the left until I landed on "Close page button." I
double-tapped on this Close button. the webpage closed.
6. I once again placed my index finger right above the Home button, and I
swiped to the left 3 times. I double-tapped on "Close button."
7. I repeated steps 5 and 6 until I closed all remaining webpages.
8. I know all webpages have been closed because I do not hear "new page," I
now hear "Utilities" whenever I place my finger right above the Home button.

Thanks for sticking with me and showing me your technique. In this case, I
get better results swiping. :)

Joseph