From: Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2013 10:34 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: where will you purchase the iPhone 5s

Hi Ricardo,

The advantage is that you don't have to stick with a main carrier. Here in
Canada Telus which is one of the big 3 carriers (Telus, Bell and Rogers)
also owns another provider called Koodo which is an MVNO using the exact
same network. However, I am paying $56 for unlimited nation wide calling,
unlimited texting, call display, voice mail and 2 Gb of data. The exact same
thing from Telus would cost me $85, which is $29 more a month. Over 2 years
this means I am paying $696 more, add to that the $399 for a 64 Gb iPhone
and I would pay $1,095 for a phone which I can buy for $880 (it's $30 more
in Canadian as in the States if you buy the phone outright and unlocked). On
top of that I am on a month-to-month plan with Koodo and 10% of my monthly
bill goes on a tab which at some point later I can apply against a new
phone. I have been with Koodo for almost 2 years and as I only got on this
promotion a bit into my initial contract which was about $10 more, I already
have about $150 I can use against buying a phone and I get another $150 from
Koodo against staying with them (if I left before this amount was paid back
I'd have to pay it back, but at this point I see no reason why I should
leave). If they come up ith a better promotion again this year before
Christmas I can just call them up and they will put me on it. I am sure
there must be MVNO's like that in the States where it does pay to bring your
own phone.