Hi all,

I was reading some of the content on the link provided in the following
article, and I found the features of the new handwriting ability in IOS7
simply amazing, and features I can't wait to try--especially when in noisy
environments and the new password entry feature. Do yourself a favor and
take a couple of minutes to read the details of what this feature can do for
you.
Note: I've only pasted a small sample of what is in the link below, so don't
forget to click and read the entire article.

Maccessibility ยป Review - iOS 7 and VoiceOver
http://maccessibility.net/2013/09/18/review-ios-7-and-voiceover/

The Pen Is Mightier Than the Keyboard

With the popularity of apps like Fleksy and MBraille, it is clear that some
users find text entry on the software keyboard cumbersome or difficult,
especially in certain situations. I must confess, I do not use either of
these apps, as I have found my speed on the onscreen keyboard to be
satisfactory, and use dictation when typing is inconvenient.

That being said, Apple has provided a new feature to VoiceOver users that is
a pretty impressive alternative to typing your text entry. Tucked away,
hidden at the bottom of the option rotor settings in VoiceOver's settings,
is an option simply called "Handwriting".

When entering text, you can select "Handwriting" from the rotor, and then
use the screen as a canvas to literally draw printed characters. By default
it starts in the category of lower case letters, but also includes
recognition for uppercase letters, numbers, and punctuation.

Simply draw a letter as it appears in printed form, and it is entered into
the text field. Three-finger swipes up and down will change the category of
character type you are entering. A two-finger swipe right will input a
space, and a two-finger swipe left will backspace.

If you know the shapes of printed characters, a little practice will find
you entering letters at a pretty good clip in this mode. Having already
mastered a pretty speedy technique with keyboard entry on my iOS devices, it
has not yet overtaken my typing speed, but I can see where it might
eventually, and certainly could for others who have trouble with keyboard
entry. There are also occasions when typing is not optimal, such as in noisy
surroundings, and this would definitely be handy in those situations.

The great thing about doing text entry in this way, is that it limits the
learning curve for those who are already familiar with the shapes of printed
letters to almost zero. For those who are not, this is a great excuse to
learn.

You can also enter your pass code, if you keep one on your device, using the
handwriting feature, and it will even default to numbers for this purpose.

The Handwriting feature has other uses and modes, too. If turned on while
you're on the home screen, you can start writing letters on the screen, and
a list of apps beginning with those letters appears. Apps in this list can
be anywhere on your device, and are not limited to those on the current
screen or in the current folder. Use a two-finger swipe up or down to move
through the list, and double-tap, as usual, to activate the app you want.
Those who are familiar with the Item Chooser on Mac will find this
functionality very familiar.

When in web content, such as in Safari, Handwriting mode has yet another
use. Write a letter corresponding to a rotor option, and VoiceOver switches
to that form of navigation. For example, writing "H" switches to Headings,
and two-finger swipes up and down will move you through the headings on the
page. Draw an "L", and now you are navigating links. This will be
particularly nice for users who keep a lot of items in their rotor and want
a faster way to move through various HTML element types.

The accuracy of the recognition of this mode is superb, and with just a
little practice, many users are likely to find they enjoy this form of text
entry. Hats off to Apple for incorporating this in such a fluid and
intuitive way.

Joseph