Hello Ari, Kimmy, Mich and others,

I also find the Unlock button is not quite as easy to find as it used to be
when it was right above the home key and I could put my finger on it every
time 100%.
Now, here are a few things to try and everybody has to see what works best
for them (I assume you don't have a passcode set):

Observation:
The Unlock button or control is still above the home key and goes across the
screen from left to right.
However, it is just a bit further up and on the very right the "Open Camera"
button is located underneath the unlock bar/button/control.

Methods:

1. If you press the home key and then slide your finger straight up slowly
you will find the Unlock bar, at that point you can stop and do a split tap
and the phone will unlock.
You can also do a double tap anywhere on the screen once Voiceover says
"Unlock".

2. You can put 3 fingers on the screen and drag them from left to right on
the lock screen to unlock your phone. This has been mentioned more then
enough and all I will add is 2 things: if I am playing some audio or just
played some audio so that playback controls come up on the lock screen and
not just the time, date, unlock and Open Camera, I can put 3 fingers on the
screen on the left side of the phone, drag them right and the phone unlocks.
If, however, I press the home key and the time is announced I always had to
either repeat the 3-finger swipe or touch the screen first once somewhere in
the middle, then perform the 3-finger swipe. Personally I find this gesture
a bit unreliable and inconsistent.

3. My favorite method is as follows:
press the home key or power button to bring up the lock screen.
Now do a 1-finger double tap and hold anywhere on the screen as long as it
is left of the centerline, hold a fraction of a second until you hear the
triple tone and then drag your finger across to the right.
It doesn't seem to matter if you do this towards the top, centre or bottom
of the phone or whether the time is announced and you have nothing else on
the lock screen but the time, date and the unlock and camera buttons or
whether you have what's currently playing and all that stuff, this works for
me every time and I am currently training my muscle memory to use this
gesture since I find it the most efficient, I don't have to hear if
Voiceover says "Unlock" to indicate I found the unlock button or anything
like that.
Basically I am unlocking my phone just as a sighted person does with a
single finger swipe across the screen from left to right except that I have
to start with the pass-through gesture which is what the double tap and hold
is.