Just to clarify:
I did have it plugged in with the upgrade. I must have waited forever because I went away and when I came back the phone had upgraded but was off.
sorry, it's an iPod.
It's that not knowing that is the trouble. Sure, it turns on, but you wait 30 seconds. And while you're doing that wait for 30 seconds you say to yourself: but did I actually get the thing turned on?
Now I'm shutting up. and shutting down.
All the best, and pardon my excessive mailing.
BestPen

Hi Penny,

AS John said, if you update over the air, eventually Voiceover should have
come on by itself, you may not have waited long enough. Having said this, it
is always best practice to empty the app switcher and doing a restart of the
phone before doing an upgrade and it is not a bad idea to have the phone
plugged in when you do an iOS  upgrade. If there is lots of juice left it
shouldn't be a problem, but maybe you forgot that you only had 15% left. If
that happens and you start an upgrade and half way through the phone dies it
is probably not a good thing.
The lack of any sort of feedback during part of the over the air upgrade
process is the reason why I simply prefer to update via iTunes, at least I
get to hear the various USB disconnect and connect sounds as well as check
on the status of the update with Jaws.

if I do a restart because I think something isn't working right, I always
empty the app switcher as well. Keep in mind that if your phone is turned
off and you plug in the cable it will turn itself on automatically after the
normal boot time.

Lastly, if you do turn your phone off it does probably not hurt a bit to
hold the power button down for 4 or 5 seconds as many here pointed out, but
it also isn't necessary. Push the button and hold it for a second or so,
think "one one thousand" if you like as you push it, then let it go. Your
phone will boot up and depending on the model at the end of 20 to 30 seconds
you will hear Voiceover come on.