I would give VM Player, oPlayer, or Ace Player a shot.  No fuss with iTunes is
necessary.  You just use an ftp server to download the folder where your files
are.  All three players will remember your place, so those are good options.

My favorite out of the three is VMPlayer.  Yes, it lacks the speed control, but
it is solid for performance.

Sent from my iPad Mini