If your iPhone 4S is sluggish with iOS 7 you really should invest the time
in doing a complete restore, set up as a new device and then slowly add back
first your most important apps, then those you don't use so often, then
resync your music if you have any on the iPhone etc. You will also have to
set up your email accounts again, you will lose saved text messages and any
apps where you have in-app purchases will have to be renewed, but you will
not be charged again.

I know this can be a fair bit of work depending on how many apps you have,
how many folders and so on, but there is absolutely no reason why iOS 7
should be sluggish on a 4S or an iPad 3 for that matter. I put iOS 7 Beta 5
on my iPhone back in mid August and it ran great. Then Beta 6 came out, Gold
Master which was also the public release came a few weeks later and while
there were and still are a few bugs, I found my 4S was just as responsive as
ever with the one exception that some apps took just a second or 2 longer to
open when I opened them the first time.
I now have a 5S and I was actually amazed how little faster it is when doing
day-to-day stuff. Of course it's a bit faster and maybe it's a lot faster if
you do some CPU intensive task like editing a video file or playing some
complicated graphical game, but navigating around, checking my mail, writing
a text or using apps like Skype, Tap Tap See, Audible and so on I find is
very much the same experience.
And I did actually get to use 2 different 4S phones, first my old one and
then for a few days I used and set up a brandnew replacement 4S which I
received 2 or 3 days before my 2-year Apple Care coverage ran out. I had a
very serious issue with my old 4S which already started in iOS 6 where
sometimes it wouldn't switch at all to the earpiece and I had to either plug
in a headset or just have a phone conversation on speakerphone. Both my old
4S which was upgraded and the new 4S which still had iOS 6 on it and which I
also upgraded but where I started out from scratch since my fiancée in the
Philippines is going to get it were equally good.

Anyhow, these are just some observations and suggestions. iOS 7.03 fixes the
screen sensitivity issue and one or 2 other smaller issues and of course
also some non-voiceover related things like iMessage not working for some
people etc. It is still only a "dot 0" update and not the first "dot 1"
update which usually contains more significant fixes. Oh, by the way, if you
search for iOS 7.03 in the archives you'll find already a few dozen posts
including the list of changes which you can also read through if you do an
over th air update and double tap on "Learn More" before tapping on
"Update". It came out on Tuesday and I don't think I have seen anybody
posting anything where he or she had any issues with the update, if you do
it over the air it takes maybe 2 or 3 minutes to download and another 6 or 8
minutes for the reboot of the phone and the installation. Just be patient
for 10 or 15 minutes at the most and Voiceover should come back when it's
done.

Oh, and one caution:
one person did report that for some reason even though he chose not to set
up a passcode during the short setup processyou have to go through after the
upgrade is done, he was later asked for a passcode. I have a passcode on my
5S since I use the Touch Id, but when I set up the replacement 4S after the
7.03 upgrade I also tapped not to use a passcode during the setup. I was
asked to confirm that I wanted to skip this and I said Yes and I had no
problem with it. Just be extra careful when you get to this point because
one thing you don't want is somehow to end up being asked for a passcode you
don't know.
Of course it is common sense to backup before the upgrade, remove all apps
from the app switcher and to either go to Settings, General, Reset, Reset
Network Settings (you will have to reenter your WiFi password) or to at
least power cycle your phone before the upgrade. I also turn Bluetooth off,
it probably makes no difference but neither will it hurt. because