From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of David Chittenden
Sent: October 28, 2013 2:27 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: BlindSquare, A Disappointment

I apologise for my poor and misleading wording.

I purchased Sendero LookAround when it first came out, mainly to support the
development of accessible GPS solutions. When I was in the US visiting
family, I tried LookAround and found its POI database to be very limited. I
ended up using Around Me, a free POI app to locate nearby places. Given that
LookAround was the most expensive of that type of GPS app, I became
disillusioned with the company. Like I stated in another message, if I am
paying a significant premium for a blindness targeted app, I expect at least
equivalent functionality if it is the only accessible app of its type, and
significantly improved functionality if the general market apps are at least
somewhat accessible.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone

> On 29 Oct 2013, at 6:53, Christopher Chaltain <chalt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I thought the same thing Grant did, and that was that you were making
philosophical or generic statements. When I read "Whenever possible, I do
not purchase blindness specific apps." I didn't assume you were just talking
about GPS apps.

> I agree if a blindness specific app doesn't meet your needs or you think
it's too expensive then you shouldn't buy it. However, I don't think a blind
person should have to change the way they navigate or put up with other
inconveniences just to use a main stream app if there is a another app,
maybe written with the blind in mind, that better meets their needs.

> [...]
>> needs to do is change the way one navigates. Before Apple Maps
>> upgraded, I walked up side streets occasionally to learn which street
>> it is. However, I mainly learned to navigate using street addresses
>> because that was what was primarily available, and it works quite well.
>>
>> You speak of the necessity of knowing the exact layout of each and
>> every intersection. I travel independently through cities in multiple
>> countries without such information. Traffic circles are quite common
>> in many countries. When the navigation app says take the second exit
>> off the traffic circle, this usually means, continue straight on the
street.
>> When the app says take the first or third exit, this is easily
>> determined by knowing which direction the vehicles travel in the
>> traffic circle. In the US, it is counter clockwise. In most island
>> nations, it is clockwise. In either case, it is easily figured out by
>> observing the side of the street the vehicles drive on.
>>
>> Oh, if one wishes to get a better feel for how roads are laid out and
>> intersect, I prefer Apple Maps traceable street view. It took
>> practice to learn to use it, but is valuable when in an unfamiliar area.
>>
>> As for POI, many apps give many more locations than the blindness
>> focussed apps, especially when one is outside the US. I have been
>> tempted to acquire BlindSquare, but all the POI data it provides is
>> readily accessible from free and very low cost apps.
>>
>> As for announcing upcoming intersections, Apple Maps now does a
>> decent job. The only problem I experience with Apple Maps is it tends
>> to announce the cross street both before the street and after the street.
>>
>> David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
>> Email: dchitten...@gmail.com <mailto:dchitten...@gmail.com>
>> Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 28 Oct 2013, at 20:55, Grant Hardy <grantha...@outlook.com
>> <mailto:grantha...@outlook.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> While I am not disagreeing with you from a philosophical
>>> perspective, this doesn't really apply to navigation apps. Comparing
>>> blindness specific and mainstream GPS apps can be like comparing
>>> apples and oranges, as each are used for a completely different
>>> purpose. Examples include announcements for crossed streets,
>>> descriptions of intersections, and address ranges, which would
>>> simply not be useful in mainstream apps. Far from just using an
>>> interface that is not optimal, you would be using an app that offers
>>> completely different functionality. Of course, there are exceptions,
>>> for example the Hop Stop transit app is mainstream but can provide
>>> transit directions in a reasonably easy to follow textual manner.
>>> But for demanding GPS tasks, blindness specific apps - at least for
>>> now - offer a more complete experience. Of course, to tell the truth
>>> no GPS app for iOS comes close to the experience you could get on a
>>> notetaker like the BrailleNote, but I suspect this will change sooner

Google Group.

Groups "VIPhone" group.