I believe an unlocked AT&T phone can be used on T-Mobile.  It may not
offer the fastest speeds, but speeds in the five to 10 megabyte range
are common.  If you already have an unlocked GSM phone, get a nanno
SIM from T-Mobile and give it a try.  I have their prepaid service
that offers unlimited data and 100 voice minutes for $30 a month.

Kelly