Andrew,

When I ventured into the world of Iphonics 13 months ago I was "a babe in the woods" insofar as having had no experience at all with touch screen interfaces. I have to say that once I learned the various swipes, swishes and gestures I now find the iPhone a dream come true. Texting, both composing/sending and reading is a breeze -- if you don't feel comfortable composing in one manner you have several other options; you can use the on-screen keyboard in one of two modes, you can use your voice via "Dictation" or you can use the handwriting option where you draw the characters on the screen.

VoiceMail is a breeze, you double tap the Phone icon in the bottom strata of the screen and you're placed in a window with five interaction options -- Voice Mail being one of these.

I think you'll find the iPhone to be a true pleasure to use.

Good Luck!

And, never, never feel embarrassed to ask for help or a tip. After all, that's exactly what this list is for -- I think! ;-)