GPS in conjunction with cell tower triangulation can boost recognition up to 10
feet on a very good day with strong GPS reception. That said, Cell tower signal
alone can give an accuracy of approximately 3 miles. When in the coverage area
of two towers, the accuracy is between one quarter and half a mile.

For accuracy of a few feet that one would need inside a mall, one would need to
be receiving signals from between 15 and 20 location-based transmitters. The UK
is experimenting with this for guiding large ships through the extremely
crowded English Channel.

Stores are experimenting with BlueTooth radio transmission technologies for
alerting shoppers to specials they might like whilst shopping in different
areas of the store. These transmissions should also work to help blind people
navigate malls and such, but the concepts are still in development.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone