I too use Google Maps primarily.  The only area I've found it lacking is
transit directions.  Otherwise it's been 100% accessible for me anyway.

DJ

-----Original Message-----
From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Christopher Chaltain
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 4:33 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Apple Maps

Why do you say Google Maps has much to be desired with respect to
accessibility?

A few months ago, I tried using Apple Maps to get to my destination. I
tried using the name of the business, but Apple Maps wouldn't find my
destination that way. I tried entering the address directly, but I got
an invalid address message. I typed the name of the business in Google
Maps, and it came right up. I've been using Google Maps ever since, and
I haven't noticed any accessibility issues with it.

I realize my problems with Apple Maps were probably user error, and I
plan to give it a try again, but I just find Google Maps so accessible
and so much more intuitive.

On 12/10/2013 02:55 PM, David Chittenden wrote:
> I had fabulous success when I performed a multi-kilometre route yesterday.
I found things work better when I place VO on a piece of information to
monitor. Otherwise, it does not announce until the turn comes up. Given the
vagaries of GPS, I found the margins for turn announcements to be on-par
with other GPS apps. When walking, I did find the announcement that I
arrived was often made right after the 15 metre announcement (I was tracking
remaining distance at the time, but in both cases, the announcement was
within a couple metres of the door. In one case, I already knew where my
destination was located. In the other case, I did not know. As it was a
clear day, I am not surprised about the very high accuracy for the unknown
location. For the known location, as it is a small shop in a long block of
shops, I was pleasantly surprised. I know better than to expect that level
of accuracy all the time. Such expectations are completely unrealistic given
how GPS works. As to rerouting when
 I went off route, well, the bus goes off route regularly. Apple Maps
rerouted quickly and quietly in the background. On my iPhone 5, it was a
complete pleasure to use Apple Maps, now that I have taken plenty of time to
understand how Apple Maps does things. I only hope public transit option is
implemented soon because Google Maps has much to be desired with
accessibility.

> David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
> Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
> Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 10 Dec 2013, at 7:02, shaf <shafpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Please, let us know if you have success with root navigation. I tried
>> getting from place A to B with no real success. (I did not know the
>> way at all).
>>
>>> On 12/9/13, Joe <jsoro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Looking forward to your observations. For me the app is inexplicably
slow.

>>> Sent from my iPhone

After
Route