I haven't used Google Maps for public transportation yet. I haven't had any trouble clicking on a route though, getting more details about the route and starting the spoken turn by turn navigation in either driving or walking mode. You may have found an accessibility issue with Google Maps, but maybe others who use it with public transportation can help.