Hi,

If you want complete accessibility, unfortunately the only two ways to
go are Apple TV or a dedicated media center PC connected directly to
the TV. The Apple TV works best for people who subscribe to the Apple
ecosystem as you have noticed and the dedicated computer approach is
over kill for most people.

I upgraded the hard drive in an old netbook and repurposed it as an
iTunes server; it sits in our atic serving content to the Apple TV and
also runs a DLNA server for some other devices. I'm not a fan of the
approach that Apple have taken with the Apple TV but I have to admit
my setup generally works pretty well.

Cheers,
Ben.