There is an interesting situation that started with iOS 7. Edit fields,
buttons, and links cannot be activated unless they are actually visible on the
display. So, when flicking through a website, if one double-taps on an item
which can be activated, but VO hasn't caused the item to appear on the display,
the item will not activate.

Also, there are some interesting new web technologies which allow for much more
visually interactive pages. These technologies appear to refresh specific parts
of the page, amongst other behaviours that confuse screen readers. In many
cases, finding the actual field or item on the display and holding it with one
finger locks VO focus to it so that doing a split-tap with another finger then
causes the item to activate.

Finding these items can be a challenge on the dynamic sites. I use three finger
horizontal and vertical flicks to bump the item into appearing on the display.

Unfortunately, none of these corrections can be used effectively from a
keyboard. They all require direct interaction with the display.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone