Great explanation, Christina. Basically`, pop3 is done locally and Imap is done remotely from a server. In the bad old days of dialup modems, you connected to a pop account, grabbed email, then disconnected. These days, most internet connections are "always on" and it's much more convenient to connect and stay connected using Imap, or sync settings remotely across devices without having separate settings for each device.

Also, most IsPs have Imap. I only discovered Cox Imap settings last month, for example.

HtH,
Teresa

Wishing you a joyous holiday season and a happy New Year!