link right away:

http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Color-Reader-Talking-Identifier/dp/B008OVGVZU

If you go there you’ll see that this product comes from maxiaids so you could
of course also buy it from them directly at www.maxiaids.com
<http://www.maxiaids.com>  or order it on the phone with them.

The Amazon page also has a link for the Colorino Color Identifier which is the
more expensive product. However, while the Rainbow Color Identifier identifies
38 colors, e.g. grey, light grey, dark grey, dark dark grey etc.) the Colorino
can do 150 colors.

Also, apparently using the Rainbow as a light detector it will say “Light” if
you point it towards a light source whereas the Colorino emits a tone which
increases in frequency if the light is bright or you point it directly into the
light.

If you do look on Amazon you’ll see that the Rainbow has 4 out of 5 Stars, but
only one person reviewed it and gave it 4 Stars. The Colorino gets 2.5 out of 5
Stars with 2 total reviews. One person gave it also 4 out of 5 Stars and the
other gave it 1 out of 5 Stars. When I read the bad review I realized that they
just didn’t use it correctly. I have had the Colorino for probably 12 or 15
years and it never failed me. However, you do have to hold it right up against
whatever it is you are trying to identify and by that I mean press the opening
where the sensor it right into or against the material. If you hold it a few
inches away it will always say “Black”. This is because it has it’s own light
source and the sensor and any other light has to be blocked out. I think all
colour identifiers like this work this way and it’s part of the reason why
colour identifier apps on the iPhone do such a poor job. They see the colour in
whatever light it is including shadows and hence you rarely get consistent
results.

Even though I really like my Colorino, I think if basic color identification is
what you want and you don’t want to spend too much money the Rainbow color
identifier is the product to try especially if you don’t necessarily have to
rely on it as a light detector. Here the iPhone works well with the app “Light
Detector”.

If a product like the Rainbow for $99 was available when I bought my color
identifier I probably would have bought it, too, althought I think I only paid
$150 for the Colorino back then.