Whether closing apps would help save battery drain or not would depend a lot on the app. Apps which have the status of "running" next to them for example are actually taking up some processor cycles, so would be consuming more power than apps which have no status next to them and are pretty much just occupying memory or swap space. Even closing such apps may not result in a noticeable change in battery consumption depending on how you're using your phone. Other battery saving tips like lowering the brightness of your display are going to be much more significant when it comes to saving power.