Hi, if you are on iOS 7, then GV Connect runs in the background and will ding when you get new messages. Be sure that sounds are turned on from the Settings section of GV Connect itself. Only sound available is the glass ding sound from iOS 6 and earlier since the sounds are part of the app itself. If you want other types of notifications, then you will need to use a push service like Push or Boxcar or Mailtones and have Google Voice send incoming text messages to an email address which triggers the push. yes, if you have a Google Voice number, you basically get texting for free even if you don't have a real texting plan with your provider.

Hope that helps.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
I can't live without y?o?u?. TEA. Bazinga! - Sheldon Cooper