Hi,

There is a *lot* of missinformation in this area. It is not possible
to stream directly from a NAS to the Apple TV, but you can stream from
a NAS to any iDevice if the NAS supports DAAP (Digital Audio Access
Protocol) which is sometimes called "iTunes server" in the interface &
marketing material of a NAS. Additionally, if the NAS doesn't support
DAAP, you can still access content stored on it using an iDevice via
DLNA or SMB although you will require third party apps to do this.

Thankfully, there is a workaround for the Apple TV problem although
from a networking point of view it's pretty ugly. What some people do
is to access the required content via an iDevice then simply airPlay
it to the Apple TV. The downside to this is that the content is being
transfered twice, so for networks using older equipment & standards,
you may run into throughput issues which will manifest themselves in
the form of buffering.

The approach I opted for was to repurpose my netbook as a basic media
server. The hard drive was upgraded so that all of our visual media -
E.G. everything accept music could be stored on it; I then connected
it to a switch in our atic where it sits running 24/7 waiting for
someone to use the Apple TV. This is by no means a perfect setup, but
for me, it represents a good compromise between functionality & cost.
Personally, I detest the idea of putting an extra device in the
equation, but short of building a media center computer, until other
devices like the Apple TV become more accessible it's the best we can
do.

Cheers,
Ben.