One of the first things I learned as a researcher is, correlation does not
equal causation.

Whenever iOS receives something important, the device becomes active. When it
becomes active, the time is usually announced. In your case, the device
downloaded an email which was assessed as being important (usually because the
sender's name is in one's VIP folder), so the screen was activated and the
particular emails were displayed. These emails are not displayed in the
notification center, but they activate the importance monitor.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone