Hi Robert,

That's an easy one and you don't even need any software since this
functionality is built into Windows. Ari was closest whenb he said there was
a way to do this using the Run command. This actually goes back to the old
DOS days and using the command line interface which you can still do in
Windows by typing Windows Key+R to bring up the Run command, then type "Cmd"
for "command" and press enter.
I am surprised nobody who like me has been a long-time computer user and who
started with DOS has remembered this.

OK, after you press enter after typing CMD you now get a DOS prompt window.
This is just another Window and you can still use Alt+Tab to switch to other
Windows or programs you currently have open.
If you use Jaws and do a Say Line you most likely hear something like this:
C:\users\user name> where user name would be your name.

Anyhow, the main thing here is that first you want to use the DOS command
for "change directory" and go to the directory where your ringtones are
located. I am using the DOS terminology here where a Folder was called a
Directory.
The command is "cd" of course without the quotation marks, it stands for
change directory. The syntax is cd which you can follow with a space or not,
then type the complete path of your folder. For example, if your Windows
user name is Robert and you have iTunes installed in the music folder and
your folder where your ringtones are is called "Tones", then the line would
look like this:

Cd \users\robert\music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Tones
If you start at the root level, i.e. c:, you don't have to start with c:,
you can start simply with \

Type the path and press enter and the prompt will now say this:
C:\users\robert\music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Tones>

OK, now you can check your folder for the files that are in it, just a
double check sort of thing. Type "dir" which stands for "directory" followed
by a space, then type a "*" (asterisk) followed by a "." (period) and the
extension "m4a" which you say is the current extension of your 8,000 files.
There are no spaces except for the space between the "dir" and the "*". The
"*" is a wild card for any file name in front of the period.
it would look like this:

Dir *.m4a - this will give you a listing of all file names with the
extension of M4A.

Wait a moment as all the files are now being listed. Do a say line after
maybe 3 or 4 seconds, if you are back at the c prompt, you can route the
Jaws cursor to the PC cursor and then arrow up. You will hear this:
0 Dir(s)  62,432,980,992 bytes free
19 File(s)      6,316,528 bytes

The above is what I get when I do a directory listing of my Tones folder. It
first tells me that there are 0 Dir(s) which means there are no subfolders,
this is followed by the free space of my C drive.
Then if I uparrow another line I hear that I have 19 files and it tells me
the total size of all of them. If I uparrow again I will be on the last file
of the entire file listing.
In your case you should have 8,000 or whatever exact number of files.

OK, now you have to just type one more line to rename all the M4A extensions
to M4R. The command is "ren" which as you probably guessed stands for
"rename", you follow this by a space.
You once again use the "*" (asterisk) as a wild card to include all files
with the M4A extension, your command line is this:

Ren *.M4A *.M4R
Make sure you have only 2 spaces in this, one between the command "ren" and
what you want to rename which is all the files with extension M4A and which
you indicate by "*.M4A" and the second space between the *.M4A and the *.M4R
which is the extension you want to rename all the files to. Of course you
press enter after you type the line to execute the command.

That's it, all your files will now have whatever file name they had before,
but they now have a M4R extension and are ready to be imported into your
Tones library. I know this sounds way more complicated than it is, if I sat
down at your keyboard knowing which folder the files are in I could do this
in 10 seconds flat. If your files are in a subfolder way down in your folder
structure you could simply use Windows Explorer and either move the entire
folder into your root directory, c:, or make a new temporary folder in c: or
even c:\users\robert just so you don't have to change to a folder which has
such a long path.

If you feel uncomfortable with this or are unsure, just send me an email to
siegh...@live.ca and I can call you on the regular phone or we can use
Facetime Audio and I can walk you through this step by step, if I can hear
your screenreader it would be super easy. You can iMessage or Facetime Audio
to the above address as well. I don't know what time zone you are in, just
keep in mind that I am in Canada and the Pacific Time Zone, you can simply
ask SIRI what time it is in Vancouver which would be the same as the time in
the town where I live.