I agree, if you just want to backup one system then going with another external hard drive or two is perfectly adequate. The advantage to a cloud based backup is that you can then have access to your backed up files from multiple devices. Chances are, the cloud provider is also going to be using some more sophisticated technologies to backup your data and store it in multiple redundant places. It's more likely that your external hard drive will have a problem when you go to restore from it than a cloud provider won't be able to toss up your data upon request.

For me personally, I do use an external drive to backup most of what's on my hard drive, including things like applications, documents and books I've downloaded from the internet. I also use a cloud provider, Ubuntu One from Canonical, in my case to have the folders and files I update most frequently backed up in the cloud and accessible from multiple devices. These files get synced in the cloud every time I update them, which is more frequently than I kick off a backup to my external drive. This also means my most accessed files are available from everywhere. This has come in handy when I needed a piece of data at the doctor's office or the bank, and all I had to do was bring up a file that had been synced to the cloud from my PC.

Unfortunately, Ubuntu One is going away in a few months, and I need to find another cloud provider that's got all of the features I've come to depend on in Ubuntu One.