Jose, thanks for confirming that I am indeed not crazy. I'm glad it
isn't just me.

Sieghard, I have actually done both of those things already, and the
problem still persists (oh, and I have an IPhone 5). If ever I was
concerned about the proximity sensor in the past, or was worried about
the speaker inadvertently being engaged, I used to have the option of
turning off vo with a triple home click, although now, regardless of
at which point I am during the call (either placing it or it already
being placed), I can no longer turn vo off--tribble clicking home does
not seem to disable vo when I'm on a call.

Thanks,
Shermeen