We don't have any details on the study David is referring to, so it isn't clear to me how relevant it is to the discussion. For example, he refers to exploring the screen and doesn't reference typing speed. He also says the iPad was used but not a phablet or something akin to the size of the iPhone 6, whatever that will be. It also seems like he's talking about children new to a touch screen, which isn't the same thing as an adult who's already an experienced touch screen user.

I have a Nexis 7, and I do find it easier learning new apps where I'm exploring the screen and learning it's layout. I can also see where I'd continue to be more proficient using an app where your interaction with it is to access different areas of the screen. For example, I prefer using my Nexis 7 for things like NFL Mobile, Netflix, Pandora and similar apps.

I find typing to be a different story. Instead of working with a few icons placed around the screen, I'm heavily interacting with many more objects on the screen. I appreciate their closer proximity and the fact that I have more relevant physical reference points, like the sides and corners of my iPhone. I am definitely a much faster typer on my iPhone than I am on my Nexis 7.

It also makes sense to me that when learning a new app and exploring it's interface, you would pick up things more quickly on a larger display, but once you know the interface, would you be more proficient on the larger device or would the size of the screen stop being relevant after a certain point?

I also wonder how much our interaction with technology to this point, and I'm thinking about PC's and JAWS in particular, where we're presented with a linear view of our technology effects our use and adaption of the touch screen. The iPhone plays into this by emulating that linear view of the interface with the swipe gesture. Maybe the results of this study have more to do with having people new to the touch screen learn to use the interface as it's actually laid out in two dimensions than the size of the screen being used.

Finally, even if this study clearly states that blind people do better with a larger screen that has nothing to do with an individuals preference. I wouldn't change my preference for a screen size just because someone refers to a study or questions my intelligence or mental flexibility. I have no idea if these children are using their iPads the same way I use my iPhone or not, and frankly, I don't really care.