Yeah, that was Zenith, who was acquired by LG due to shrinking market share. Ford also used the slogan "Quality if Job 1". I bet Ford still got their new cars out every model year though, and of course, Ford has had more than it's share of quality problems over the years. It's called marketing.

Apple may add an increase on quality to their marketing, and they may even take some action to improve their quality, but they won't do this by slipping dates. They'll do this by adding resources to testing and fixing bugs. They may even reduce the number of features in order to put more development resources on fixing bugs. They won't slip dates though. There's just too much cost involved in rearranging all of the logistics in getting millions of iPhones out to the retail stores, their partners and available on line. There's also the hit to their reputation as a company that can't deliver and the impact on their market share by not having a new product in the market. Has Apple lost more market share over these perceived quality issues than they would have if the iPhone 6 was still sitting in some warehouses waiting for IOS 8 bugs to be resolved? I can assure you Apple has some pretty smart people considering all of these alternatives.

On 11/09/2014 10:48 PM, Charles Rivard wrote:
I don't remember what company used the slogan in their commercials, but
"The quality goes in before the name goes on."

---
Be positive!  When it comes to being defeated, if you think you're
finished, you! really! are! finished!
----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Chaltain"
<chalt...@gmail.com>
To: <viphone@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2014 8:42 PM
Subject: Re: how to sync apps with iTunes 12: why change things that
worked like in iTunes 11

Obviously, you have to pay attention to quality, but this is only one
factor that goes into a business decision. Unless you're writing Hello
World! you're application, system or device will have a bug in it. How
many bugs are OK before you put your release date at risk? Shipping
something late negatively impacts customer satisfaction and can also
negatively affect your partners and the rest of the ecosystem.
Constantly missing your dates also establishes a bad reputation.

Is IOS 8.1 good enough now or should Apple have continued to wait to
start selling the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6S? Should they keep waiting
and miss Black Friday and the holiday revenue?

Like I said, I'm not saying quality doesn't count, it definitely does,
but you're also ignoring all of the other factors that go into such a
decision.

You're also not taking into account that when something is good enough
is a fuzzy grey line. Furthermore, even if you put out a perfect product
with only one or two bugs, the people who hit those bugs will complain
about it. Do all of Apple's customers think IOS 8.1 is an unmitigated
disaster or just a subset of blind users? If Apple has to trade off some
dissatisfaction among some blind users with postponing the availability
of a new line of iPhones what do you think Apple would do? Would they be
wrong?