I'm sorry the book isn't helping just yet.
The home screens of the phone are laid out in 4 columns and 5 or six rows
depending on the size of the phone.  I think you said you have a 4S.  So, you
may only have 5 total rows, I honestly can't remember.
This does not count the status bar at the top.
But, each app can lay out their screen any way they like.
So, one of the best things to do with an app you are not sure about is to
slowly slide your finger down the left side of the screen first and get an idea
of what there is along that side.
Then, carefully start at the top left just below the status bar and slowly
slide from left to right.
Then, start back at the left and slide down until you find the next item below
where you started the first time and again, go slowly left to right, etc.

Now, most apps put the Add, Edit or Done buttons in the upper right.
tuneIn is a good example of an exception to that since they put their edit
button in the upper left.

VoiceDream Reader has the Add button in the lower left.
So, with each app it will take some exploring.

As for finding things in the book, Getting Started with the iPhone, I don't
recall the phrase she used for the app switcher.  It could be called, switching
apps or something.

I would recommend going through the settings section.  You will find the
Auto-Lock feature explained.
On the phone it is located under Settings, General.

HTH,
Richard