On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:28 AM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> > Jeremy: Mr. Grant speaking about the future where Linux (2.6.28?)
> > mainline kernel will support Xen Dom0, not kernel 2.6.27, which only
> > improves Xen DomU.
> >
> > And I agree with Grant, that if Linux mainline will have Dom0
> > included, that may cause problems for all kinds of drivers.
>
> The intention is that a single kernel will be equally functional in all
> modes of operation.  If the kernel has dom0 capabilities, then they will
> only come into play when actually running under Xen; when booting
> natively, they will have no effect on anything else.  Naturally, running
> under Xen is likely incompatible with any other in-kernel virtualization
> system, so we need to make sure that they don't get in the way.  That's
> easy to arrange for kvm, but I'm not sure about VirtualBox as it is
> out-of-tree (though full source is available, right?).

Vbox OSE has full source available. I was working on a contract for a
corporation and was in the stage
of deciding which virtualization platform to run and installed Vbox in a Xen
system (running Xen). The installer
loaded the vbox driver (As well as set it up to load automatically) and sent
the server into a continuous reboot. Unfortunately this was
in a Datacenter that I had no physical access to. The Vbox developers jumped
all over me when I suggested that it was a bug.
When running Xen the VMware interface will come up and the driver will load
but the VMs just don't start. It seems like
that would be a much better situation than causing the entire machine to
crash. Seems like a Vbox problem. It was run in Dom0.

Grant