Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
[]
but the promised to me that they'll do it. Are you a DD? We can try to to join
forces.

No, I'm not a DD, but I have previously packaged some Perl modules and single binary packages. I have also helped with some packages that are important to me. Generally, time doesn't allow me to get very deeply involved. However, I would like to help where I can, and my control files are getting into a decent shape, so I can have this small contribution :-) However, it looks like Virtuoso needs to be packaged as a multi-binary package, and it needs init.d-scripts and check for possible conflicts. So, it is somewhat beyond me.

I'm wondering how you've gone about it; I saw the mention of http://debianpaket.de/svn-buildpackage/index.html a while ago but have I missed an actual control file in the mails? Could I have a copy and play with it here?

From the above, I'm also wondering if you've started from debhelper, or should be doing so? That's meant to automate most of the process, I gather.

init-scripts are not hard to write. Debian packages an /etc/init.d/skeleton file that you can copy and tweak; all Virtuoso requires is that you cd to the directory containing virtuoso.ini and run virtuoso-t there. This will then create the empty database; the first time you run it, it loads a bunch of *.vad packages into the database (so you might want a warning "please wait a while" - compare openssh-server generating keys the first time around). It might also help to specify ./configure --with-layout=debian so it uses /var/lib/virtuoso/ as the database directory.

Regards,

~Tim
--
Tim Haynes