On Wednesday 08 October 2008 21:10:11 Tim Haynes wrote:
> Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> > On Wednesday 08 October 2008 17:15:50 Tim Haynes wrote:
> >> I'm wondering how you've gone about it; I saw the mention of
> >> http://debianpaket.de/svn-buildpackage/index.html a while ago but have I
> >> missed an actual control file in the mails? Could I have a copy and play
> >> with it here?
> >
> > No, I didn't post it, but please find it attached. I took the description
> > from one of your web pages, but made it a bit less marketish. :-)
> >
> > I think I have the build-deps correct now.
>
> Thanks for this. Good news: I have a build env here where I ran dh_make
> within a build-directory, copied your control file into place and it
> successfully built a ../virtuoso-opensource_5.0.9-rc6-1_i386.deb.

That's great!

BTW, I think that if a .deb is distributed, the Debian project encourages the
version numbers like virtuoso-opensource_5.0.9-rc6-0openlink1_i386.deb
so that if an official package is provided later, it can be automatically
upgraded.

> One obvious bug: we need to sort out --with-layout, as the above process
> erroneously creates a /usr/var/lib/... structure.

Yeah, I saw that too.

> I'll look into that tomorrow, but meanwhile, do you have a debian/rules
> file to go with that control file, so I can see how yours differs from
> dh_make's default output?

Come to think of it, I used our public repository, so the debian/ dir is at
https://submarine.computas.com/virtuoso-debs/virtuoso-opensource/trunk/debian/
rules and control are the only files where I have made changes.

> My aim, currently, is to produce a debian/* set of files (mostly rules &
> control) that can be incorporated in the primary CVS repository. One of our
> other open-source projects, iODBC, does this, with fair success.

Great, that sounds good!

> I'm also thinking, in the absence of a designated DD just yet, it would be
> wise for the maintainer information to be set to "OpenLink Virtuoso
> Maintainer" and "vos.admin @ openlinksw.com".

I agree absolutely!

> That would also do nicely.  It'll take a bit of hacking working from the
> init.d.ex; will have to resolve the way the PIDFILE works, etc.

Right!

> >> This will
> >> then create the empty database; the first time you run it, it loads a
> >> bunch of *.vad packages into the database (so you might want a warning
> >> "please wait a while" - compare openssh-server generating keys the first
> >> time around).
> >
> > This should perhaps be done when first configuring virtuoso in the
> > install process?
>
> Ultimately we could seek to use debconf for it; "Would you like to install
> the Conductor in this instance? How about the ODS application suite?" etc.
> That won't happen tomorrow, though!

Hehe, yeah, that would be the best, indeed! :-)

> >> It might also help to specify ./configure --with-layout=debian so
> >> it uses /var/lib/virtuoso/ as the database directory.

I'll check that into my rules file in a minute.

Kind regards

Kjetil Kjernsmo
--
Senior Knowledge Engineer
Mobile: +47 986 48 234

|  SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE  |

Computas AS  PO Box 482, N-1327 Lysaker | Phone:+47 6783 1000 | Fax:+47 6783
1001