Hi Vanessa,

Please confirm the Virtuoso version you are using (virtuoso-t -?) and version
of the JDBC Driver (java virtuoso.jdbc3.Driver).

When you say the Virtuoso server totally stops, is it still running but just
not responding to SQL or HTTP request or has the server actually shutdown ?

If you can still connect via SQL with the Virtuoso "isql" command line tool can
you run the "status('')" command to determine the status of the database and
provide this also.

A copy of the "virtuoso.log" would also be useful to see to check for any
errors that might account for this behaviour.

I would also direct you to the Virtuoso performance and tuning guide:

        http://docs.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/databaseadmsrv.html#ptune

Section 6.1.7.5.4. JDBC, which details the new to set the appropriate
transaction isolation level , which is read committed to minimise the
possibility of locks/deadlocks.

Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Support: http://support.openlinksw.com
Forums: http://boards.openlinksw.com/support