Thanks, Lorenz!That allows me to get around it.
Jaana
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 21:52:39 +0200
From: buehm...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de
To: virtuoso-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Virtuoso-users] DBpedia SERVICE queries acting unexpectedly

    The labels are contained in the DBpedia ontology.

    Lorenz

    On 07/31/2014 12:27 PM, Jaana Takis
      wrote:

      Hi Hugh,
        this does not work unfortunately, I get the exact same
          issue running your query on my local Virtuoso sparql endpoint:

                label

                http://purl.org/dc/terms/subject
                "Subject"@en

                http://dbpedia.org/ontology/PopulatedPlace/areaTotal
                "Subject"@en

                http://dbpedia.org/ontology/abstract
                "Subject"@en

                http://dbpedia.org/ontology/areaCode
                "Subject"@en

          In fact, that is the reason why I ended downloading the
          mapping-based properties DBpedia data set
          http://wiki.dbpedia.org/Downloads39#h283-1 hoping that it
          would solve things but there are no property labels there.
          Maybe there are other data sets I could download that would
          solve this issue but I haven't been able to identify one.

          I really don't get it why I have this issue. It is very
            puzzling :/ Any ideas?
          Thanks!
          Jaana