Lee and I chatted this morning, and he wondered aloud what it would take to
virtualize IETF 100. Not to remove the f2f component, but to make remote
participation work well enough that we can say remote participants are at least
second class citizens, as opposed to being an oddball tacked on.

Part of this, and this is why I copied Mirja and Brian, needs to be a
meaningful measure of quality of experience and response to it. At minimum,
having people at each end of the conversation report something akin to a MOS
score (thumbs up or down are obvious signals, or holding up some number of
fingers to say how it went, or maybe having a web page that would allow someone
to do the equivalent in a timestamped log) could give us some interesting
information perhaps. Mirja and Brian can no doubt inform and refine those
concepts. If we're having a congestion issue, for example, maybe we need to
make it easy to make video content less active (limit it to slide projection as
opposed to a human face, or change the codec, or have the human able to turn it
off without losing audio, etc). If we have packet sequence numbers, maybe we
want to capture realtime statistics on packet lose, delay variation, and so on.

Part of this also has to do with the chair's "cockpit". From Lee and my
perspective chairing v6ops on Monday, life was pretty busy. My laptop was
projecting slides, and I was interacting with speakers and people in the room.
In the room we had a jabber scribe and someone taking notes on what is oddly
called an Etherpad. Lee had jabber in a pane, the Etherpad on a pane, his own
notes on a pane, and meetecho control on a separate laptop. I didn't actually
bring it (intended to but managed to leave it in my room in an overflow hotel),
but I usually have an iPad for my own notes. Add to that Lee being able to
chase the blue sheets, interact with the A/V team, or otherwise run around the
room, and - well, let's just say I'm glad I have a co-chair. It takes two. At
this point, I'm wondering how to simplify all that. Not offering suggestions
right now, but I think we need to think about that in the context of
virtualizing meetings.