From: John C Klensin <john-i...@jck.com>
To: nalini.elk...@insidethestack.com; vmeet@ietf.org
Cc: mentoring-coordinat...@ietf.org
Sent: Saturday, April 9, 2016 6:45 AM
Subject: Re: [Mentoring-coordinators] [vmeet] Remote Attendance: Simultaneous
Translation Software

Nalini,

I'd encourage moving in this direction only with great care for
three reasons.  First, many (I'd hope most) of the presentations
at IETF meetings are quite technical and specific, with small
differences in wording potentially making a large difference.
Such materials are notoriously hard to translate, especially if
the translators [1] are not subject matter experts.

Second, I note that, as a remote participant who is a native
first-language English speaker, there were several discussions
and presentations that, while in English, I had a great deal of
trouble understanding, even with the assistance of being able to
look at the slides and knowing the context.   That doesn't
predict high odds of success with real-time translation, at
least unless the translators have written copies of the
presentation available (something I would not encourage for
other reasons).

Third, like others (although I still haven't caught up on all of
the threads), I think the remote participation arrangements
worked much better this time than at previous IETFs and that we
are, with some exceptions, seeing steady improvement.   At the
same time, there are what can probably be described as "rough
edges", and it may be worth concentrating on straightening them
out -- making everything work well together-- before embarking
on major new adventures, e.g., thinking about simultaneous
translation or use of remote hub approaches for active group (or
facilitated individual) participation rather than only education
and outreach.  As just one example, the question of how to find
and use whatever arrangements exist has been an impediment to
convenient and effective remote participation for years.   The
incorporation of Meetecho links into the Tools agenda is a giant
step forward.  At the same time, that agenda is not updated in
real time to reflect non-WG meetings so, for example, the
Thursday Remote Hub meeting wasn't on it at all.   Similarly,
there were no links for Meetecho or audio feeds for the Sunday
tutorials and discussions.

I also suggest that we don't have remote mentoring (for either
remote participants or remote mentors) sorted out.  I don't know
whether that is more or less important than simultaneous
translation, but I do know that we seem to have taken small
steps in that direction already.  My general message is that it
would probably be a good idea to get at least a significant
fraction of the tasks we are started on already done and working
really smoothly before starting on something we know (I hope) to
be a major task and a difficult one.

best,
    john

[1] Human, machine, or otherwise.

--On Saturday, April 09, 2016 11:44 +0000