When I enable hard links on VMS, it exposed that the t/io/fs.t is not testing what the comments indicate that it is testing.

The correct test would be to see if the $mode of the third link matched the $mode for the original file.

What the test is actually doing is testing to see if the umask function is behaving according to the UNIX definition.

With VMS, setting the umask and related behaviors into the UNIX mode is not the default behavior.

I need to make a change in this routine to get it to pass on VMS when hard links support is built in to Perl, it is skipped otherwise.

One option is to fix the test to actually test what it claims to be testing. This could affect other platforms, but really should not.

Now should the test be testing for a UNIX compliant umask()? And since VMS by default is not set to UNIX compliant, it would need to know when that pass would be expected to pass, or to when to put VMS into that mode.

-John
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Personal Opinion Only